.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

An Every Day Occurrence

As for me, I delight In the everyday Way, Among mist-wrapped vines And rocky caves. Here in the wilderness I am completely free, With my friends, The white clouds, Idling forever. There are roads, But they do not reach the world; Since I am mindless, Who can rouse my thoughts? On a bed of stone I sit, Alone in the night, While the round moon Climbs up Cold Mountain. - Han shan ( 8th century)

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Pachangeando

That's a slang term in Spanish used for partying. Actually, that's a really poor translation because it is more than that.

You hug and kiss everyone in sight, dance, sing, eat, drink and generally make a ton of noise. In the midst of all that, there is somehow time to reflect on how good life is and to catch up on all the latest news about each other. All the problems seem to melt away and even if you're tired from dancing your heart out, it's like that feeling you get when you are showered with cold water on a really hot day. Que rico es eso!

This weekend, I got a chance to see people I love and care about doing things that not only make them happy but enrich those around them. Even though my favorite dancer* was not able to make Carnaval, it still had the same magic it has had for me all these years. I don't think most people realize that the Aztec dancers are doing more than entertaining. They are cleansing the path for the other performers. And, I'm glad to have been a part of that twice in one day. The second time, I could practically touch one of the dancers. That's how close they were to where I sat. BUT, like Native American regalia, theirs is blessed and to touch without permission would be the most horrible thing you could do.

Oh, it so was nice to see the faces of people I know on more than a casual level taking part in a very cultural event. Buena Vista Elementary School , Loco Bloco, and San Francisco Taiko Dojo. Even my daughter was super-excited each time she saw someone we knew (Look, Mama, it's the guy who likes the tiny ketchup bottles!). It must be nice to bring a smile to someone's face the way these folks do in passing during the parade.

My husband got a kick out of me singing along with and hooting (best word I can use) to the Mariachis that were part of one event. And I caught the look of pride mixed in with a twinge of wistfulness as I reminisced about oral tradition - about El Cucuy, La Llorona, the Story of Creation, Dreamcatchers and ethnic/cultural traditions to be passed down. I get the sense that he would like to have something similar that spoke to him and stirred his blood. The Irish, Scottish, German, Dutch, Welsh, Italians, Portuguese, etc., have been blended in so much, that there is nothing culturally left of their respective heritage. I don't think" white" people realize how much they've lost by allowing themselves to be homogenized. But, I guess you can't miss what you don't know about.

That is a heavy and charged topic for another day.

Well, as much as I enjoyed all the festivities, I am very much looking forward to a day of lounging at the beach. My soul is refreshed but my body is tired.

* He is gearing up for the Peace and Dignity Tour, which I will share more about later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home